Pre-Panchakarma procedures (external and internal oleation and induced sweating) As the dosha are located in remote areas of the body, generally there is no direct outlet for their elimination. Therefore, some preparatory treatments are first induced in order to soften the dosha and move it to either the stomach or the intestine from where the dosha is eliminated using the above-mentioned techniques. The Panchakarma therapeutic process appears quite simple in its application. However, its effects are powerful and effective.
Medically induced vomiting. Use of emetics artificial vomiting is induced using herbs like, strong teas of licorice, salt and calamus. It is usually indicated for people with disorders of ‘Kapha’ This is the cleansing process for the upper respiratory tract and upper digestive tract. “Effective in Kapha rogas Asthma and some skin diseases like leukoderma, psoriasis etc.”
Medically induced purgation which cleanses the lower digestive tract. Use of laxatives – A strong purgative like senna or rhubarb is given. It is normally used to eliminate high Pitta (fire) from its site in the small intestines. “Almost all types of skin diseases and chronic rheumatic problems will be relieved by this.”
Enema done with a mixture of honey, salt, herbal paste, herbal decoction and medicated oils. This will be preceded by one or two Sneha basti according to the condition of the patient. These bastis are helpful in some chronic rheumatic problems. Urinary stones, nervous disorders and in some gynecological problems.
Medicated oil mixed with some herbal paste and salt, is administered through the anus. The quantity of material will be decided according the strength of the patient and disease,Beneficial in chronic nervous disorders, joint problems and skin diseases. One with the lowest dose of oil is called Matra basti.Beneficial in chronic nervous disorders, all kind of vata disease, joint problems and skin diseases.
It involves the administration of medicines through the nose in the form of drops or powders. Nasal administration medicinal oils or herbal mixtures are inhaled or pour in nose by drops (mixed with oils or ghee). This stimulates the nerve ending of nasal cavities resulting in better blood circulation in the sinuses. “Highly effective for all kinds of headaches, paralysis, depression, stress, pain around the neck and shoulders, eye diseases etc.”
Presently one of the blood letting procedures is very popular, that is leech therapy. It’s very useful in skin disorders like eczema, psoriasis, Hair fall, Acne, unhealed wound, deep vein thrombosis etc.
The main benefits derived from Panchkarma therapy are:
- Increased digestion, improved absorption and assimilation of all nutrients at the physical, mental and spiritual levels.
- Deeper and more restful sleep.
- Eliminate toxins and toxic conditions from your body and mind.
- Restore your constitutional balance improving health and wellness.
- Strengthen your immune system and become more resistant to illness.
- Rebuilding body tissues, promoting rejuvenation and longevity.
- Normalization of the menstrual cycle.
- Increased awareness and increased emotional and mental clarity.
- Increased physical flexibility.
- Reverse the negative effects of stress on your body and mind thereby slowing the aging process.
- Bring about deep relaxation and sense of well-being.